Thursday, April 10, 2014

5 Green Smoothie Recipes You'll Love



I've mentioned before my obsession with "green smoothies" which are basically just fruit mixed in with some greens & other good stuff & turned into a healthy, nutrient-packed drink. I religiously skip breakfast. It's not intentional, I'm just not a breakfast person. I don't really have time in the morning to sit down to a mean. I'm also not a huge fan of most breakfast foods. Green smoothies are perfect on the go & they're a nice alternate for coffee - they pack a punch without the inevitable drop in blood sugar.

Getting started with green smoothies is kind of scary. I know I was so intimidated by the thought of drinking my veggies. Also, I couldn't imagine how fruits + greens could possibly equal something I'd like to consume in liquid form. I totally get it, folks. They're also not too pretty. Unless you really like the color green, the color is pretty unappetizing at first. But I assure you, they're good & good FOR you.

I should mention that investing in a strong, pulsing blender is a definite MUST. I use a Ninja & I absolutely love it. You can get them for a reasonable price at Target, Walmart & Bed Bath & Beyond. Any high-powered, ultra-durable blender should work though.

Here's a few of my favorite, tried & true smoothie recipes.

Banana Oat Smoothie
1 cup of spinach or kale
1/4 cup of rolled oats
1 tablespoon of agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup of greek yogurt
1 large banana
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 cup of Ice

Note: Make sure you're blending this REALLY good. The oats make it kind of gritty & a few extra pulses in your blender will help tremendously! Also, if you have time, soaking the oats in some almond milk for about 1/2 an hour can help eliminate that grittiness.

Strawberry Banana Smoothie
1 cup of spinach or kale
1 large banana
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup of greek yogurt
1 cup of ice
1 tablespoon of agave nectar or honey

Blueberry Orange Green Smoothie 
1 cup of spinach or kale
1 orange, quartered & peeled
1 1/2 cup of blueberries (frozen or fresh)
1 tablespoon of agave nectar
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 cup of ice

Coffee "Ice Cap" Green Smoothie
1 cup of spinach
1 tablespoon of instant coffee (or espresso)
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 medium banana
1 cup of ice
Sugar to taste or agave nectar for sweetness

Note: I don't think kale works with this one. I feel like the flavor is too strong. But if it's all you have on hand, it can definitely work.

Lucky "Leprechaun" Green Smoothie
1 cup of spinach or kale
2-3 mint leaves
1 banana
1/2 cup of almond milk
2 tablespoons of agave nectar or honey
1 cup of ice
1/4 cup of vanilla greek yogurt

I hope I've helped you add some new recipes to your "arsenal" of healthy smoothies! Let me know how these work for you! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment