Tuesday, July 2, 2013

V A C A T I O N!

I know I've been all business & no pleasure lately. There's just (obviously) been a bunch going on. But, now that I've updated on the sad stuff & we're all caught up on the general gist of my life, here's a happy piece of news!

I'M ON VACATION! 

It's been a really, really long time since I've had a vacation (the wedding was the last time!) so I'm so relieved to be off of work for the week. The best part is that my husband is ALSO off of work. This past weekend we did some work in our garden outside, hit up the craft show on Main Street & had the in-laws over for dinner. But since then there hasn't been much sunshine or much we need to do. So.... We've spent an embarrassing amount of time camped out on our couch, eating mac & cheese & watching Netflix. But, sometimes brother, sometimes ya just gotta. 

What's up with all this rain anyway? Dude. It's been sunshine since March but as soon as I'm out or work, well. This. But, I promise I will be making the most of this time off. Or, at least I will once I decide to get off the couch. Haha. Tomorrow night a girlfriend of mine will be coming over our house with her hubby for our first ever double dinner/date night followed (hopefully, weather-permitting) by fireworks over Lake Ontario. I'm SO looking forward to it! However, I'm embarrassed to say that I have no menu planned. I have plenty PINNED, but nada planned. I'm extra cheesy & want to have an easy, patriotic-themed dinner & some patriotic drinks and dessert. I just have to buy some supplies & create! So here's a few ideas courtesy of Pinterest!

For Dinner:

All-American Bacon Cheeseburgers (Courtesy of Taste of Home)
--This is partially because it looks freakin' delicious & partially because what's more All-American than a burger for god's sake? Of course burgers are reasonably easy to prepare as well, which won't hurt since we have to eat & head to the lake fairly soon after. Also, bacon. 
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/All-American-Bacon-Cheeseburgers

Pesto Macaroni Salad 
--Mozzarella. Tomatoes. Pesto. There's nothing like a cold pasta salad during the summer. & I think this one is different enough to be refreshing & delicious without being, oh, I don't know... Filled with tuna? Patriotic? Not exactly. A contender? Yes. 

Also:  I'm thinking corn on the cob & of course, a huge selection of junk to throw on those burgers. & by junk, I mean everything from Ketchup to pickles, onions to mayo. You know. 

Snacks/Drinks:

Fruit Tray/Symbol of Our Great Nation
-- C'mon. It's healthy AND patriotic! Plus, this is something I can throw together relatively quickly & easily. This is probably going to happen. I found this gem via party city but I've seen a bunch of variations elsewhere! 


Red, White & Blue Sangria 
-- This is CUTE! But most importantly, it's Sangria. Plus, I can basically just throw the remaining fruit from my fruit tray into a pitcher & call it done. I think this is a definite winner. I'll just add a stop at the liquor store to my list of errands tomorrow. & by me, I mean my husband. ;-) Haha. 


Dessert:

"Firecracker" Cookies
-- I absoutely think these seem like SO much fun! Those are pop rocks on top of those cookies. It's like the pop & crackle of real fireworks.... Only in your mouth. Who wouldn't want THAT sensation all the while biting into a delicious, chewy sugar cookie? Yes, please! 



So there will definitely be some shopping, cooking & prep tomorrow! But I'm looking forward to a fun summer night with friends, drinks & fireworks! Nothing beats a double date. Especially when it includes sitting at the lake! I'll update with the details of the evening. Hopefully everything goes off without a hitch. Most importantly, hopefully the rain holds off! 

Happy 4th of July! 



No comments:

Post a Comment